On February 21, 2010, Shawn Johnson wrote this:
For my birthday this year, i had the extreme pleasure and joy of skiing in Colorado with my closest friends to celebrate my big 18th. While having the time of my life there, finishing up my last run of the day, I took a bad fall. I knew as soon as it happened that something had gone wrong, but kept my hopes up and fingers crossed. I managed to tough out the rest of the trip and still have a blast. When i got home, i went to my doctor just to verify that nothing was wrong – even though i knew something was – and was devastated by the results.
The doctor informed me that i had a slight tear in my acl and meniscus and needed knee surgery. For a girl who has never really had an injury before, this came at me like a brick wall. I wasn’t sure how to handle the news so i did what felt natural. I went straight from the doctor’s office to meet up with Coach Chow. With my eyes full of tears and body language reading defeat, Chow shocked me in his response to the news. He was so comforting, so positive – it was just like old times. He told me things happen for a reason. I am now faced with a challenge that i have never had to face before, at a time in my life that i needed it the most. He told me to look at it as a blessing.
So the blog goes on and she updated it right after surgery while she was stumbling around on crutches, doing as much PT as she could...today when I got home I checked my twitter and was so excited to read her post:
I cannot tell you how great it is to hear that she is 100% healed. It gives me hope and strength and courage to continue to push forward and fight the fight and get myself healed and back in the studio asap!
"Things aren’t going to be easy for the next 6 months, but i’m excited to see what comes of all this new time i have on my hands....Life is crazy, unexpected and unpredictable."-Shawn Johnson-