Saturday, July 21, 2012

2 years ago...

LiL Knee - May-July 2010

2 years ago today, I woke up and walked into an operating room for a 2+ hr reconstructive knee surgery. Today I am thankful that I am back doing what I love most in this world - DANCE - and grateful for all the love and support everyone gave me  (and still gives me) during the 8 months I went through the injury/rehab. 

LiL Knee - July 21, 2012
While I never want to go through anything like that again, I will say I am grateful because it taught me a lot and made me see things in a different way. And because of it, I met some pretty amazing people, and found out some pretty amazing things about those surrounding me.



I'm so thankful for Bethany Hamilton, Shawn Johnson, Aliya Mustafina, Alicia Sacramone, Allison Case, Karen Olivo, Courtney Kupets and everyone else who ever had an injury, publicly worked through it, and gave me the strength and courage to keep fighting until I was back. And it's a constant struggle - learning how to get back and re-train with what feels like a totally different body, learning how to trust your body again, having faith that everything will be ok. 

Life is way too short to focus on the bad. This injury/surgery could've been the end for me - but instead, I chose to focus on the positive - to stay close to those who support and inspire, and to steer clear of the negative ones. To keep my eye on the goal - getting back into the studio so I could, once again, FLY....going back and reading through this blog has taught me a lot - about myself, about my body, about others.....and even though I've been officially healed since January 1, 2011, I still keep this blog going to remind myself where I've been, where I'm headed, and where I want to go. 
~Memories In Action~
JKing Dance Company - May 2012


Thank you to everyone who continues to support me and my passion. In the words of 7 year old Xiana, "I LOVE YOU MUCH MUCH!"


"Imagine the one thing you love to do the most. Now imagine, out of nowhere, something happens and you realize you may never be able to do it again. How do you feel? Sad? Angry? Shell-shocked? For me, the answer was all of the above."

-Bethany Hamilton-