Sunday, August 28, 2011

SOUL SURFER

So I haven't updated in forever - and since I am stuck inside because of Hurricane Irene and since I still have power, I thought now's as good a time as any! :)

After I started dancing in January, things were going well...my knee was still hurting but getting stronger every day. Then summer came and with it, pain in my back. After having Xrays and an MRI, I found out I have some minor tears, bulges and herniated discs. So back to intensive PT I went where I upped the exercises for my knee and back. Things started to get better until a few weeks ago where I couldn't go from sitting to standing without sharp pain in my non-surgical knee. So for the past 2 weeks I've been going to trigger point therapy. It's been painful and bruising but it's helping. 

So, I continue to be grateful for every single day I get to dance and I'm grateful for all the possibilities that lie ahead. The storm this weekend has left me, and thousands of others, basically stranded at home with no MTA service and no open stores, so it has forced me to rest. So, for the first time in (who knows) how long, I ordered a movie on demand. 

If you want to watch an unbelievably inspiring story, go see SOUL SURFER. It is my new favorite movie, and applies to anyone out there who has a passion that no matter what happens to you, you will never stop doing what you love. 

These quotes from the movie basically say it all for me - while I didn't lose a limb last summer, I can relate with the knee surgery and everything that went along with it:


"I don't need easy, I just need possible"

"I wouldn't change what happened to me because then I wouldnt have this chance in front of all of you - this chance to embrace more people than I ever could have with two arms"

"I was born to surf. This is why I wake up at the crack of dawn every day. This is why I endure belly rashes, reef cuts, muscle so tired they feel like needles... and I've learned that life is a lot like surfing. When you get caught in the impact zone, you need to get right back up because you never know what's over the next wave. And if you have faith, anything is possible... anything at all."


"The end.....is just the beginning"