Monday, May 16, 2011

Shawn Johnson update



espnW: As you mentioned, you injured your knee skiing a little more than a year ago. Is it all healed now? How is the rest of your body feeling?

SJ: It's almost there. I've come to the conclusion that it's always going to hurt a little because of the pounding on it. Now I can really tumble on it, and my body is doing well besides that. I'm pretty lucky.

espnW: Have you changed any of the skills you do because of your knee?

SJ: There were a couple of skills that we decided would be best to completely throw away, just because of extreme twisting, the landing or the take-off. Finding the confidence to really trust your surgery leg is hard. So there are a few skills that I was really hesitant on, and we decided to try something else.

The main one we took out was my double-twisting double-back on floor. It was sort of a signature skill for me, so I was a little bummed, but as soon as you take off from that skill you have to twist, so it was scary for me with a knee injury. But we found a new one that works even better and came pretty easily, so hopefully it will turn out well.

espnW: What skill is that?

SJ: It's a surprise right now.

espnW: Do you have a quote that keeps you going on tough days?

SJ: Yes, the motto I've been living by is that it will all be worth it in the end. I've gone through times of frustration because of my knee, or because I'm older now and can't push myself as much, and on the hard days, I tell myself that it will all be worth it. Nothing can replace the pride you feel from getting on the podium at the Olympics.